Reusing BIM models for several purposes throughout the lifetime of buildings
The completed building models can be delivered not only in industry standard formats (eg DXF, IFC, PDF or Excel), but also in the OrthoGraph Cloud system itself. This has the advantage that the documentation of the building not only gives a one-time value, but can always be kept up-to-date throughout the entire life cycle of operation. For minor changes, e.g. for asset movements, moving, walling or installing a door, models can be easily kept up to date by colleagues working in real estate management right on the spot.
Reusing the same BIM models for several purposes means that the cost of creating and maintaining it will provide a great benefit for several activities, it is divided between them.
Various software systems are available for most facility related work. These include facility management (CAFM), maintenance management (CMMS), or building automation systems and many others, but they all share the one helpful thing, which is the possibility of using the same BIM model for all these purposes.
Integration of OrthoGraph BIM models can be achieved on several levels:
- Data level: getting accurate survey data from importing them from OrthoGraph Cloud. This covers both the measured data – graphical and alphanumeric – and calculated data like room area, rentable area, cleaning area or all the surfaces of walls, doors and windows etc.
- Storage and facility data accessible at the on-site work: OrthoGraph can store any kind of additional data at any element of the BIM model. This means manuals, photos, links to videos can be shared together with the BIM model elements, e.g. at the maintenance points. When the maintenance worker finds an element – e.g. reading its barcode right on-site – then it will automatically list its maintenance documentation, maybe the live maintenance history if the proper data is provided by the external system.
- Custom fields & custom templates: using OrthoGraph you can achieve your surveyors to survey exactly and exclusively those data which is needed. You can customize and control on individual property level of either structural elements, building parts or objects/furniture what you need to be surveyed besides the graphical surveying. You can also specify mandatory fields to be sure you will get the desired result.
- Barcoding: each OrthoGraph element can store a unique barcode. These barcodes can the be used to identify elements at maintenance management, at moves or simply at asset inventory. Anytime an object is searched, it can easily by found using its barcode. OrthoGraph will display the particular element instantly let it happen on-site using the mobile app or in the office in a simple web browser.
- Graphical integration: a higher level of integration is to use OrthoGraph’s 2D / 3D BIM model viewer as part of the external system. This means any IWMS system can be equipped with always up-to-date BIM models graphically showing the building they manage.
- Automation in graphical viewer: both OrthoGraph’s web viewer and the mobile app can be automated to display a particular element. E.g. when there is a maintenance request, then we can simply click the element and instantly display it in OrthoGraph 3D BIM model to easily identify what tools are required for the particular work as well as it is going to be very easy to find it at the particular location.
- Graphical reporting: OrthoGraph’s web viewer can support any data report with graphical functionality. To colorize a floor plan displaying each tenant with a different color is the same easy as to colorize particular objects, maintenance points that have been maintained in the last accounting month. OrthoGraph lets external systems to automatically colorize a floor plan element, even more elements with different colors at the same time.
- Displaying calculated alphanumeric reports on the floor plan: display measured data on the floor plan to follow your building automation system. The displayed data can be any type of user requirement, so not just freshly measured data by the building management system, but calculated usage data, reports, number of maintenance events, space usage per user or anything that makes the building operation more effective.
- OrthoGraph’s Public Viewer: one picture is worth a thousand words. This applies also for building operation. To report a breakdown or to rent a particular meeting room it is much easier to share OrthoGraph’s BIM model to the tenant to be able to click on the element and start the user workflow in the IWMS/CMMS system directly to the particular element, than calling a phone center and longingly discussing the location of the particular element. This is not just very convenient for the tenants, but also accelerates work and increases the service level provided.
OrthoGraph Cloud Access can provide all kinds of integration: a graphical BIM model with access and functionality for any external system.
Learn more about integration and customization possibilities, request a live demo.